Palm tree

Palmera

xylography on elm wood
56 x 38 cm
Jan. 2010

Engraving and stamping is my second speciality, I tried it for the first time at school, and I took a course on my third year of Fine Arts. I'm not skilled at drawing, painting or photography, so engraving is the best way I have to work on 2D projects without having a computer involved.

There are several engraving techniques, and the one I'm most skilled at is wood carving, xylography, as it is similar to wood sculpting; it also fits my taste, as the images I usually produce are highly contrasted and use uniform tones instead of fadings or lines.

This etching is based on a Mexican palm tree and the sunlight, and the feeling I had under it. The woodcut is made on an elm trunk section; this technique allows a great detail but is way harder, it makes the wood rings visible in the stamps, which are hand made with a spoon.

This engraving was chosen to take part in a collective etching exhibition called "La Primera Oportunidad" (The First Chance) which took place in Madrid in the spring of 2010


Formulario de contacto

Name

Email *

Message *