Iron Face

Cara de Hierro

Iron and old keys
40 x 30 x 30 cm.
Jun. - Nov. 2010

Related to the anatomy studies I took on my third year of Fine Arts, the idea of this sculpture was based on the face muscles, I wanted to make a piece which gave the sensation of moving fibers, as if each iron wire was moving to complete the face. I also wanted to drive the attention towards some of the most powerful features of the human face...The supposed simmetry (as it really doesn't exist) and the eyes

To make this piece, I made a casting of a friend's face, and used it as some kind of guide, but my intention was that the piece doesn't resemble her at all, I only needed a starting point. I learnt welding while working with this piece, it was quite hard as the iron rods are really thin, its thick wire, if I was not careful I'd melt and break them.

The hair, wich is one of the things we notice first when looking at someones face, was originally intended to be made of iron wire, but by chance I got a lot of old keys from an old locksmith, they are all the defective keys he had produced over the years. I thought it would be more interesting to add them as the hair.


Formulario de contacto

Name

Email *

Message *