Brain Coral

Brain Coral

Forged Iron
30 x 50 x 30 cm.
Jan. - Jun. 2011

One of my teachers prompted me to try forge. It was a technique I had never tried before, and it  infuses respect, as you are working with fire and iron, in Fine Arts there's few people who tries forging to make a piece.

This is the first piece I made improvising, as my teacher's advice was to buy iron and start practicing with it, to see how it works and learn about different techniques. Therefore I started to give different shapes to the iron rods I got, and found particulary interesting trying to reach the iron's limit of bending. Each day, I'd start working with a straight iron rod of 1 meter, and bend it as many times as posible, making it as compacted as posible. As a result I started to pile up pieces of bent iron as big as a hand, and the idea of forming a shape from all of them eventually came to my head. Each iron rod had a different shape, as I was never able to decide it's final shape, It came by itself with the bending.

Finally, I got 20 pieces and welded them toghether in several semicircles, and then, I welded them together, and rusted them with some chemical products and fire.

It doesn't have a lot of concept, but it was a great way of trying another way of working, feeling how the piece grows by itself with time and effort, without any plan, leaving everything to improvisation. Also, I learnt a lot of forging, from starting a fire, controlling the heat it produces, where is the heat located or where are the iron limits before it break.



Formulario de contacto

Name

Email *

Message *